Thursday 18 May 2017

YEAR 3 - BA3b - New Menu Polish & Steam Mockup

The above gif shows recent polish I've made to the menus. The font in the title is now used throughout most of the menus and I've made the pointer move much more smoothly between choices. The pointer now represents the [::] motif and rotates based on what the player is doing too. All of this was actually a huge amount of work to program/ design/ make and has gone through a fair few revisions throughout the development of the game.

Above is a quick steam page mockup I made just to get an idea of what the game might look like with it's current artstyle. The lighting looks quite good in the thumbnails but I've actually been warming towards the non-lighted scenes recently due to their 'clean look' and the lighting system has been giving me some problems with FPS recently.


I actually tried out the decorating style the artist at INOPS told me about at EGX Rezzed where I paint over the top of an image of the game and the paste it back on top of the geometry afterwards.
The image on the left shows the old style and the image on the right shows the paint-over style. I think it looks quite goofy, almost like a crayon drawing. There's something likable about it but I'm not sure it looks as good as the version I've been using up to now. It's possible I'll use it as an unlockable art style at some point though.  I'd like to try a paint over again at some point though because I think I could make it look less goofy.

No comments:

Post a Comment