Monday 20 March 2017

YEAR 3 - BA3b - Environmental Concept Art

Rather than changing genre again I figured I could work on the visual aspect of the game to at least make the most out of the current game's theme.

My game already has flat colors to represent the ground and after looking through some work by FireWatch artist 'Olly Moss' I figured I could apply a similar technique to my background too in the hopes that the game will look less flat as a result.

Here you can see a quick analysis of one of his pieces. Essentially, the further back a layer is, the lower the value and saturation of the colour. He also shifts the hue slightly between each layer.


This concept piece is my attempt at applying the same technique to the caves location in my game and I'm really really happy with the result. It keeps the same feel of the original game but adds so much more depth to the scene.





Above is a comparison image between my attempt at replicating the artwork in game (left) and the concept piece I made (right). I even resized the room so I could create the same level layout. I think I've done a pretty good job but I can't help but feel it still looks a bit flat in comparison. I think this could be in part due to the UI overlay. The original had subtle shading too that helps to add depth but is difficult to make smooth in game due to the low resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment